Visiting the cities of Antwerp, Bruges, Ghent, Leuven, Mechelen and Brussels of course.
 - Antwerpen  - Bruxelles 2 [4.2] - Leuven  - Ghent [6.2] - Bruges  - Bruxelles 4
 - Bruxelles 1 [4.1] - Leuven [4.3] - Mechelen [6.1] - Bruges  - Bruxelles 3
51.189999, 4.40076 - Antwerp - (AS) - € 10 to overnight stay in high season € 15 - Water € 0.50 - electricity € 1 / kw
Open from 9 to 20 H
A - Central Station * - The building was built between 1895 and 1905. Building stone clad with a large dome over the waiting room iron and glass. The viaduct at the station is also a remarkable structure. The station is considered the finest example of railway architecture in Belgium. In February 2009, Newsweek wrote that the station deserved 4th place as the most beautiful station in the world. On the technical side, the station has several levels of train tracks, and one of the track continues northward.
B - Diamond museum - Fascinating, bright and surrounded by centuries of mysticism is the world of diamonds. The museum offers visitors a multimedia experience, has magical pieces in its collection and shows the technology used today to produce world's most coveted value.
D - Athenaeum Rooseveltplaats - This school was built under the reign of Napoleon. The monopoly of the clergy was then broken and was a center of pluralism and tolerance.
E - Saint-James'Church - The church was built between 1491 and 1656 in Gothic Brabantine style. The upper middle class parish wanted to build a tower that would be higher than the Cathedral. However, at 55 meters was a shortage of funds. The interior is lavishly decorated. The tomb of Pieter Paul Rubens behind the main altar of the Chapel of Our Lady. Rubens painted "The Virgin surrounded by saints" for his own memorial.
F - House Osterrieth - Patrician mansion, rococo of the eighteenth century, is now a bank. In front is the Stadsfeestaal mall was once a nightclub. It caught fire and was restored.
G - Former Royal Palace - Walking east on Avenue Meir, we find the beautiful rococo facade of No. 50, the former Royal Palace (Dutch: Koninklijk Paleis).. After being a patrician mansion in 1745, the house was the residence of Napoleon in Antwerpen during the French occupation. It is an international center of culture, offering a space for contemporary art exhibitions.
H - Handelsbeurs - Rebuilt in 1872. The original building dated in 1531.
I - The Boerentoren - The Boerentoren ( tower farmers ) or KBC Tower is the second tallest building in Antwerp, after the cathedral. It measures 97 meters and was the first building of its size in Europe, the highest to the 1950 The building was completed in 1931 and was 87.5 meters in height then. Because restorations now measures 97 meters. The building is art-deco style and was designed by Jan Van Hoenacker.
J - Groenplaats - The Groenplaats or "Green Square", one of the most important squares of Antwerp in the heart of the city's historic district. Not as green as its name suggests, the Groenplaats is surrounded mainly cafes. Until the 18th century, was the central cemetery in Antwerp. During the occupation of Austria, the Emperor Joseph II was removed cemeteries within the city walls, so it became a square. But the name "green cemetery" to the square, remained. In 1843 a large crucifix in the center of the square was replaced by a statue of the most famous painter of Antwerp, Peter Paul Rubens. The square has seen some improvement in recent years, with the construction of an underground parking and the demolition of a building ugly parking and was replaced by a postmodern building. The most interesting building in the square is the Grote Bazaar in 1920 which is now the Hilton Hotel.
K - Cathedral *** - After 169 years of construction [1352-1521], the Cathedral, got up 123 meters high. It became the largest Gothic building in the netherlands countries. The Cathedral is a treasure trove for the preservation of the masterpieces of Rubens. The architecture of the church of seven naves has been restored to its splendor after twenty years of work. Must see the "Descent from the Cross" and "Raising of the Cross" by Rubens.
L - Grote Markt square * - Not as big as the one in Belgium, but definitely nice. The Grote Markt is surrounded by the city and the headquarters of the guilds or corporations. The houses of the Guilds are unfortunately not the original, since a large part of the Grote Markt burned down in 1576. Most of the houses were later rebuilt by Hans Vredeman, the architect of the city in Flemish Renaissance style. In the 19th century the houses have been renovated again. The house number 7 is one of the most beautiful. It was the home of the guild of Archers and is crowned by a statue of Saint George.
Amid the 'Grote Markt' is the Brabo fountain. The statue was made by sculptor Jef Lambeaux in 1887. According to legend, a giant, called Druoon Antigoon lived on the banks of the Scheldt. Whenever sailors on the river refused to pay toll to the giant punished by cutting off the hand. A Roman soldier, Silvius Brabo, managed to kill the giant. Brabo cut off the giant's hand and pulled her hand to the river.
M - Cityhall - The Cityhall (in Dutch: Stadhuis) of Antwerp, was built between 1561 and 1565, Renaissance building that incorporates Flemish and Italian influences. The richly ornamented center section has female statues representing Justice, Prudence, and the Virgin Mary, and bears the coat of arms of the Duchy of Brabant, the Spanish Habsburgs, and the Margraviate of Antwerp.
In the 16th century, the municipal authorities proposed replacing the small medieval town hall of Antwerp, with a structure more in line with the prosperity of the city. Domien of Waghemakere developed a plan in 1540 for a new building, however, a war prevented any progress on the project. The construction material for the council was used to shore up the defenses of the city. And it was not until 1560, with new development plans, which was built in the new Renaissance style. Completed in 1565, the construction lasted almost a decade before burning to be used as weapons depot in episodes of the Spanish Fury, 1576. It was repaired three years later. Renovated in the 19th century by Pierre Bruno Bourla drastically modified the interior. Much of the majestic decoration dates from this period, like a roof over what was a courtyard outdoors before.
N - The Ruien - The channels of Antwerp, an underground adventure. The Channels of Antwerp or "Ruien" as they are called here, reveal a part of the history of Antwerp. The route of 1.6 km of Ruien is a piece of historical heritage. Allows you to explore a part of the bowels of the city. Choose from the "long Rui" (tour - must be booked in advance in Antwerp Tourism and Congress) or the "short Rui" (visit without guide - takes about 15 minutes).
Zuiderterras - Restaurant designed by the famous Belgian architect Bob Van Reeth.
O - Entrepôt of Congo - Warehouse nineteenth century. Here boats unloading the merchandise coming from Congo.
Pedstrian tunnel - Pedestrian Tunnel under the river Schelde.
P - Sint-Jansvliet - This square was a small boat jetty. It was packed and today young people can play basketball or relax on one of the benches in the square.
Q - Plantin-Moretus Museum *** - Museum Plantin-Moretus is the continuation of the Officina Plantiniana founded by Christoffel Plantin in 1555, for the industrial printing of the first works of history. Today is the only museum of printing Renaissance and Baroque.
In 2001 Unesco granted the company and the source files and the oldest heritage of the world printed by pressure. This magnificent patrician house, the unique typographic treasure and the Museum of the Book have been added to the World Heritage List in 2002.
This is where the Masters of the Gulden Passer (The Golden Compass) lived and worked. The original interior of the house, decorated with tapestries, gilded leather walls, paintings and sculptures. The museum also offers an overview of the process of book production in the 15 to 18th centuries.
Vrijdagmarkt - In 1547, Gilbert van Schoonbeke Jr., a real estate magnate, created a market here for sellers of used clothing. The square was named Vrijdagmarkt (Friday market).
At that time the sale of used clothing was very common, even the clothes painter Rubens were auctioned here after his death. Today, more than four centuries later, the market still operates every Friday morning and furniture and other secondhand goods are auctioned. In the middle of the Vrijdagmarkt is a statue of St-Catherine, the patron properly "buyers of old clothes."
R - St. Andrew's Church - The Augustinian monks founded this church in the early 16th century In 1529 it became a parish church in San Andrés as patron. The church was besieged for iconoclasm, and the French Revolution, which caused great damage. Between 1970 and 1975 the church was thoroughly restored. The church is late Gothic, except the tower, which was replaced in 1785 with a baroque structure. Must see: The monumental altar of the seventeenth century, the beautiful pulpit dating from 1821, and silver reliquary of the 36 Saints.
R - Mother Netje - Statue - Statue of an old lady, worried.
S - Saint-Augustinechurch - Augustiner Music-center (AMUZ) - This place is a former church now used as an auditorium for concerts.
T - Elsschot - Statue - Statue of Willem Elsschot, a famous Dutch writer.
Elzenveld - In 1988, the Elzenveld Centre was established on the campus of the Hospital of Saint Elisabeth of medieval times. It is a socio-cultural center and conference center. It was planned exhibitions space with the addition of the church of St. Jorispand in 1993. They are located in three old infirmaries 19th century Along with the 15th century chapel of Our Lady.
At the point (T) - Mechelseplein get on Tram-4 to go the Art Nouveau District and get off at Berchem.
Around the street Cogels-Osylei you can admire more than 300 Art Nouveau buildings. Do not miss the four houses, which are the "Four Seasons" by Bascourt at the intersection Waterloostraat and Generaal van Merlenstraat! (Dienstenthuis). Four houses with the name of the seasons, Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.
In the Dageraadplaats in any restaurant you'll regain strength.
At return, in the tram-stop Dageraadplaats get on Tram-11 to stop Kon. Astridplein / Gemeentestraat and go to the train station.
On the web we cannot include travel maps, but it is possible to acquire a pdf of all the stages in Spanish or English, with full-color maps of arrivals at tourist sites and with citys walk maps of the 8 stages of this trip, for the modest price of € 5 on the last page 09. The price is symbolic for you to order the PDF when you really need it.