ENGLAND + WALES + Edinburgh
This travel has its routes in England and Wales, with an foray in Edinburgh (Scotland)
On this trip, it is recommended to become a member of the National Trust to access for free the more than 40 sites listed on this trip. (Including free parking)
All the travel:
1 – Catalunya _ Salses _ Montélimar _ Dijon - 817 Km
2 – Dijon _ Troyes _ Reims-(P-AS) – 313 Km
3 – Reims _ Laon _ Arras-(AS) _ Calais-(P)-(AS) – 350 Km
4 – Calais _ Dover _ Canterbury-(AS) – 86 Km
5 – Canterbury _ Ashford _ Rye _ Tunbridge Wells _ Brighton _ Chichester(P) – 205 Km
6 – Chichester _ Winchester-(AS) _ Timsbury _ Dunbridge _ Salisbury(P) – 119 Km
7 – Salisbury _ Stonehenge _ Mere _ Wells _ Priddy(C) _ Sherborne – 159 Km
8 – Sherborne _ Montacute _ Ottery St. Mary _ Exeter – 90,9 Km
9 – Exeter _ Tiverton _ Dunster – 109 Km
10 – Dunster _ Wraxall _ Bath(P) _ Lacock-(C) – 137 Km
11 – Lacock-(C) _ Lacock _ Castle-Combe _ Berkeley – 69,5 Km
12 – Berkeley _ Gloucester _ Tewkesbury – 44 Km
13 – Tewkesbury _ Bibury _ Waddesdon _ Oxford-(C) – 169 Km
14 – Oxford
15 – Oxford _ Moreton-in-Marsh _ Welshpool – 237 Km
16 – Welshpool _ Chirk _ Criccieth - (C) – 150 Km
17 – Criccieth _ Portmeirion _ Bangor _ Conwy – 94,6 km
18 – Conwy _ Bodelwyddan _ Saint Asaph _ Chester(AP) – 77,8 km
19 – Chester _ Liverpool-(AP) _ Birkenhead (FC)– 58 Km
20 – Liverpool
21 – Liverpool _ Styal _ Manchester(AP) – 80,7 Km
22 – Manchester
23 – Hayfield _ Lyme _ Altrincham _ Bury – 88,6 Km
24 – Bury _ Lancaster _ Kendal _ Penrith-(C) – 167 Km
25 – Penrith _ Rosslyn _ Edinburgh-(AP) – 191 Km
26 – Edinburgh – Old Town
27 – Edinburgh – New Town
28 – Edinburgh _ Melrose _ Rothbury _Slingsby – 322 Km
29 – Slingsby _ Castle Howard _ York – 31,7 Km
30 – York _ Leeds _ Chesterfield – 136 Km
31 – Chesterfield _ Hardwick Hall _ Stamford _ Ryhall – 135 Km
32 – Stamford _ Oxburgh Hall _ Ely _ Milton – 158 Km
33 – Cambridge
34 – Horningsea _ Epping – 76,2 Km
35 – Epping _ Windsor _ Epping-(C) – 166 Km
36 – LONDON-1 - Walking by The City
37 – LONDON-2 - Cathedral - Tower of London
38 – LONDON-3 - Hampton Court - Soho
39 – LONDON-4 - Kensington - Kew Gardens
40 – LONDON-5 - British Museum
41 – LONDON-6 - Natural History Museum
42 – LONDON-8. - BAPS Shri - Greenwich
43 – Epping _ Westerham _ Sevenoaks _ Oldbury-Hill – 99,8 Km
44 – Oldbury _ Sissinghurst _ Dover _ Calais _ Le Portel(AS) – 111,9 + 41,3 + 101 Km
45 – Le Portel _ Évreux-(P) _ Chartres-(P) – 320 Km
46 – Chartres _ Bessines-sur-Gartempe-(AS) _ Saint-Leonard-de-Noblat-(P) – 344 Km
47 – Saint-Leonard-de-Noblat _ Grisolles-(AS) _ Catalunya - 516 Km
Meaning of the points, example : -(AS) or -(L-C) and other
AS = Motorhome service area C = Camping FC = Farm Camp Site
AP = Motorhome parking area P = Discretionary parking
1 – Berga _ Salses _ Montélimar _ Dijon – 817 Km
42.839496, 2.911728 – Salses – Motorway services – 194 Km
44.56494, 4.75677 – Montélimar – 288 Km - (AS)
Montélimar is located between Valence and Avignon, in the heart of the Drôme Provençale, a country of lavenders.
In the historical center there are beautiful palaces: the house of Diana de Poitiers, of Renaissance style (XV and XVI centuries); the palace of Puy-Montbrun, from the 17th century; the palace of Chabrillan (18th century).
The collegiate church of Holy Cross, located on the site of the first church of the same name of the twelfth century, underwent several transformations and reforms after the ravages of the wars of religion. It is also worth seeing the door of Saint Martín, built in cut stones in the seventeenth century, and remains of the city walls.
Adhémar Castle is a medieval palace of the 12th century, of Romanesque architecture and surrounded by walls, without much interest, where temporary exhibitions are held and shows are offered.
47.310980, 5.027832 – Dijon – 335 Km
Dijon *** - The capital of Burgundy was the seat of one of the most brilliant courts in Europe, in the 14th and 15th centuries. And in the following seventeenth and eighteenth centuries elegant palaces were built: Esterno, Coeurderoy, Legouz de Gerland, Bouhier de Lantenay, etc.
Dijon is called the city of a hundred bell towers because of the number of churches it has, some of them deconsecrated. The church of Our Lady, is a masterpiece of Gothic, with its facade adorned with gargoyles. The owl sculpted in a buttress of the building, if it is caressed with the left hand brings luck. Inside the church is the statue of Our Lady of Good Hope, a wooden Madonna of the eleventh century.
Walking around Dijon – 2,5 Km
To make the visit you can follow the circular circuit "Le Parcours de la Chouette" or the owl route that leads to the main points of interest. The owl is the symbol of Dijon. (It is not the tour shown in the map).
B - Les Halles de Dijon - The central market of Dijon is a metal architecture built in 1875, in the place of the former Jacobin Convent and its 13th century church. It is cataloged historical monument in 1975.
The monument presents a succession of arches and columns with fluted drums and capitals decorated with vine vines. The spandrels of the large arches are decorated with medallions with animal motifs, heads of deer, sheep, boar, etc. besides the goddess of the harvest, Ceres and Hermes, god of merchants and commerce. The ceiling is inspired by the halles of Paris.
D - Rue des Forges * - One of the most typical old streets of the city. In an interior courtyard, at number 34, the Hôtel Chambellan, from the 15th century, has a splendid staircase. At number 38, the Milsand house shows an ornate façade by Hugues Sambin. At the number 40, the classic style gate of the Auriot hotel contrasts with the facade with arcades and if you take a little back along the Rue du Bourg, you will see its colorful roof. At No. 52-56 we see the Morel-Sauvegrain Hotel, with a 15th-century façade.
E - Church of St-Michel * - Flamboyant Gothic church finished in the Renaissance. It is a majestic facade, where the three classic orders are superimposed. On the tympanum the Final Judgment by the flemish Nicolas de la Cour. The interior deserves a view with the presbytery and the canvases of the German painter Franz Kraus (18th century).
F - Palace of the Dukes of Burgundy ** - Place de la Libération is the old royal square of the 17th century. What remains of the ducal palace of Charles the Bold is embedded between buildings of classical style. The palace is now the City Hall and the Museum of Fine Arts.
G - Cour de Flore - courtyard surrounded by buildings completed before the Revolution; in a corner you can see the chapelle des Élus, dating from Louis XV. Under the porch, giving access to rue de la Liberté, magnificent staircase designed by Jacques Gabriel.
H - Place du Bareuzai - Triangular square, with the charm of its half-timbered houses. On the fountain is the "Bareuzai", which treads the grape. Curiously, from this source came wine instead of water at the wine festivals in September.
I - Church of Saint John - Disused Catholic Church of Gothic style of the fifteenth century. In the French Revolution, the church was used as a market. The arrows, the turrets and the choir are destroyed. It is classified as a historical monument in 1862 and it is recovered as a place of worship and in 1972 it was desacralized and closed again. In 1974 it was renovated while preserving the best remains of the fifteenth century to house the Dijon-Bourgogne Theater.
J - Church of St-Philibert - The church of Saint-Philibert is a deconsecrated church built in the 12th century. Saint-Philibert is the only Romanesque religious building in Dijon, with the exception of its gate, its northern chapels, and its gothic style bulrush dating from the 16th century. The western cover is of "florid Romanesque" style. Now it is used for exhibitions.
K - Cathedral of St-Bénigne - 13th century Cathedral. Under the porch, the frame of the old Romanesque portal remains in the middle of the Gothic façade. The interior is quite austere, being the church of an abbey.
Abbaye Saint-Bénigne - In the sixth century under the reign of the Merovingian Clovis I, a crypt was built to store the San Benigno sarcophagus in 511. In 535 there is a basilica dedicated to the saint. In 871 the bishop of Langres founded the abbey that was governed by the rule of St. Benedict and the basilica was restored. Near the year 1000 the basilica was in ruins.
From the year 1001 a new basilica and the new buildings of the abbey in Romanesque architecture were rebuilt. In 1137 a great fire devastated Dijon and the Abbey (only the roundabout is saved by the flames). Abat Pierre Ginebre reconstructs the church in Romanesque. The basilica collapsed in 1271. Between 1280 and 1393 the church of San Benigno de Dijon is rebuilt in Gothic style. In 1791 during the French Revolution, the last monks left the abbey and in 1792 the church remains as the first parish church or cathedral.
In 1930 the Archaeological Museum of Dijon (created in 1831) of the Museum of Fine Arts of Dijon is transferred to the buildings of the former San Benigno Abbey.
On the web we cannot include travel maps, but it is possible to acquire a pdf of all the stages in Spanish or English, with full-color maps of arrivals at tourist sites and with citys walk maps of the 47 stages of this trip, for the modest price of € 5 on the last page 47. The price is symbolic for you to order the PDF when you really need it.