The Castles Route visit the castles in Germany at Baden-Württenberg, and Bayern, ending in Prague, Czech Republic.
The route also stops at interesting cities that have no castle itself, but are famous for their baths.
1 - Mannheim(AP) _ Schwetzingen(P) (AS) _ Heidelberg(P) - 34,8 Km
2 - Heidelberg _ Neckarsteinach _ Hirschhorn _ Zwingenberg _ Obrigheim _ Neckarzimmern _ Neckarmuhlbach _
Bad Wimpfen(AS) - 80,8 Km
3 - Bad Wimpfen _ Kirchhausen _ Heilbronn(AS) _ Öhringen _ Neuenstein(AS) _ Waldenburg _ Schwäbisch Hall(AS) _
Rothenburg(AS) - 165 Km
4 - Rothenburg ob der Tauber _ Colmberg _ Ansbach(AS) _ Lichtenau _ Eschenbach(AS) _ Nürnberg(AS) - 107 Km
5 - Nürnberg
6 - Nürnberg _ Forchheim _ Aufsess _ Heiligenstadt _ Memmelsdorf(AS) _ Bamberg(AS) - 112 Km
7 - Bamberg _ Rentweinsdorf(AS) _ Coburg(AP) - 72,9 Km
8 - Coburg _ Rödental(AS) _ Kronach _ Kulmbach _ Bayreuth(AS) - 98,5 Km
9 - Bayreuth _ Wunsiedel _ Františkovy-Lázně _ Cheb _ Sokolov _ Loket _ Karlovy-Vary-(AP) – 132 Km
10 - Karlovy Vary _ Mariánské Lázně(AP)_ Teplá _ Manětín _ Nebilovy _ Štáhlavy - 154 Km
11 - Šťáhlavy _ Hořovice _ Křivoklát _ Karlstejn _ Morina(AS) _ Praha - 139 Km
12 - Praha
13 - Praha
1 - Mannheim(AP) _ Schwetzingen(P) (AS) _ Heidelberg(P) - 34,8 Km
A – 49.487696, 8.489492 – Mannheim ** - In 1720 the Elector Carl Philipp transferred his residence from Heidelberg to Mannheim. Then began the construction of the largest baroque palace in Germany , which lasted nearly forty years. During the reign of Elector Carl Theodor in 1742 , the court of Mannheim experienced a flourishing of the arts and sciences , but in 1777 his successor , the Bavarian Elector Max III , settled his residence in Munich.
Mannheim Palace fell to the Duchy of Baden in 1803 and was inhabited from 1806 to 1811 by Carlos Erbgrossherzogspaar Baden Baden and Stephanie de Beauharnais . After the death of the Duchess , the royal house was dissolved in 1860.
Since 1926 the municipal collections were shown at the museum.
During World War II , much of the castle was destroyed . Only room in the private library of over 500 books of Elisabeth Augusta remained intact. After the renovation of the castle since 2007 , in the exhibition rooms you can see the main floor with about 800 original objects , such as furniture , paintings and porcelain. The rest of the palace is occupied by the university.
The Jesuit church in Mannheim the years 1733-1760 (A4, 2 - the central plane of the city).
Zeughaus - Armory - Set of the barracks and the church around the Toulonplatz, 1777, as supplemented by the Palatinate army arsenal. (C 5 and C 6).
Old Town Hall and The Church Of Sankt Sebastian - Market Square in the (G 1), with the old town hall in (F 1) of the early 17th century, after the destruction of the city during the War of 30 years.
Water Tower - The water tower is a symbol of Mannheim. It stands in the grounds of the Friedrich Platz and was completed in 1886.
Fernmeldeturm - Communications tower of 205 m high and foundations 11 m deep, built in 1974. It has an elevator and a revolving panoramic restaurant (1 revolution per hour). (Hans-Reschke-Ufer 2)
(B) - 49.380177, 8.574625 – Schwetzingen – Kolpingtraße – Free downtown car park.
(C) - 49.380177, 8.574625 – Schwetzingen – Ketscher Landstraße – Sportstadion – In case the other is not enabled.
Schwetzingen Castle * - This castle dates back to 1350 moated castle. In the 16th Century was a hunting lodge of the Electors of Heidelberg, which was destroyed and rebuilt several times. In 1689 during the war against the Palatinate, the troops of Louis XIV, also destroyed.
In the reconstruction, it was expanded to a building with three wings. Under the Elector Carl Theodor (1724-1799) was a summer residence. In 1752 the rococo theater was completed, where in 1763, Mozart and Voltaire were invited for a performance. In 1777 his successor, the Bavarian Elector Max III, settled in Munich and decreased the importance of Schwetzingen Palace. Today the castle is owned by the State of Baden - Württemberg. The tour of the 30 rooms show apartments Carl Theodor and his wife Auguste. The Rococo Theatre is now downtown Schwetzingen Festival each year.
(C) - 49.413362, 8.69182 – Heidelberg – UferStrasse - Car park at center in other river side
49.41417, 8.770709 - Heidelberg *** - Camping Heidelberg-Neckartal -
The castle was built in the 13th Century by the Count Palatine of the Rhine and later Elector of Heidelberg over a previous castle. It was a medieval fortified castle changed over the centuries .
In the 17th century , the Palatinate participated in the Thirty Years War , being partially destroyed and the subsequent War of Palatine Succession , French troops flew several walls . In the eighteenth century, the elector moved his residence to Mannheim.
The picturesque location on the banks of the Neckar River in Heidelberg Castle ruins in 1800 were the epitome of a romantic ruin. Slowly making awareness to preserve the historic ruins of the castle, mainly played by the French Count Charles de Graimberg. In 1900 experts discussed a possible reconstruction of the castle of Heidelberg. However, we chose to preserve the castle as a ruin , and only Friedrichs wing was rebuilt in historic style.
In Heidelberg also you can see:
Karlstor - In Hauptstrasse that crosses the old town of Heidelberg from west to east. The Karlstor door rises at its eastern end and was built in 1781.
Rathaus - The previous building was destroyed in 1689 by French troops in 1701 and was placed the first stone of the new city hall. (Marktplatz 10)
Church Of The Holy Spirit - The Holy Spirit Church from 1239-1508. The roof of the tower had its baroque form in the 18th century. From 1705 to 1936 a wall of separation divided the Church. In the nave the Protestant and in the choir the Catholics, each group held their services. (Heiliggeiststrasse 17)
Haus Zum Ritter St. George - On the main street opposite the Tower of the Church of the Holy Spirit, is the Haus zum Ritter St. Georg, built in 1592 by a draper and Huguenot, Charles Bélier. (Hauptstrasse 178)
Church Of The Jesuits - The church began in 1712 in the architectural approach of the churches of the Jesuits. (Merianstrasse 2)
Universitätsbibliothek - The great library of the University, is due to the elector Otto Heinrich, passionate book collector in the 16th century. (Plöck 107-109)
Church Of Saint Peter - Partially remodeled in baroque and neo-gothic. The first church of the University and as burial in the church and in the church garden. (Plöck 70)
Providenz Kirche - Church of Providence was built for small Lutheran congregation in 1661, on the initiative of the Elector Palatine Karl Ludwig. (Karl-Ludwig-Strasse 8a)
Kongresshaus Stadthalle - Building in 1903 on the model of the "German Renaissance." The cultural and scientific experience has a long tradition in Heidelberg. (Neckarstaden 24)
Haus Zum Riesen - Great Baroque palace from 1707 of Lieutenant General Friedrich Freiherr von Venningen. In 1797-1819 the building housed the inn "Zum Riesen" as well as a brewery and distillery. From the mid-19th century, settled in the house several departments of the University. (Hauptstrasse 52)
On the web we cannot include travel maps, but it is possible to acquire a pdf of all the stages in Spanish or English, with full-color maps of arrivals at tourist sites and with citys walk maps of the 13 stages of this trip, for the modest price of € 5 on the last page 13. The price is symbolic for you to order the PDF when you really need it.