The eternal "province", this is the myth of La Provence, that his name suggests a distant land from the capital Paris, where life is closer to its origins. First it was a Greek colony, later became the first province of the Roman Gaul. A region in the Middle Ages became part of a distant crown, is from the eighteenth century, a place of rest and retire of northern Europeans.
Its exceptional wealth, beaches, mountains and peaks, with considerable monuments of classical antiquity, Romanesque churches and convents, museums, bloodless bullfights, and a summer season with many festivals.
The way :
1 – Salses _ Aigues-Mortes _ Saint-Gilles _ Beaucaire - 225 Km
2 – Beaucaire _ Abbaye-de-Saint Roman _ Nimes _ Beaucaire – 13,9 Km
3 – Beaucaire _ Tarascon _ St.-Rémy-de-Provence _ St.Michel-de-Frigolet _ Villenueve-les-Avignon _ Avignon-(AS) –
4 – Avignon _ Pont-du-Gard _ Uzès _ La-Roque-sur-Cèze _ Barjac _ Vallon-Pont-d'Arc-(AS) – 119 Km
5 – Vallon-Pont-d'Arc _ Grotte-St.-Marcel _ Aiguèze _ Pierrelatte _ La-Garde-Adhémar_
Grignan _ Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux – 117 Km
6 – Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux _ Suze-la-Rousse _ Orange _ Courthézon _ Seguret _ Vaison-la-Romaine – 69,7 Km
7 – Vaison-la-Romaine _ Malaucène _ Le-Barroux _ Carpentras _ Venasque _ Pernes-les-Fontaines – 55,5Km
8 – Pernes-les-Fontaines _ L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue _ Fontaine-de-Vaucluse(AS) _ Les Bories _ Gordes(AP) – 36,1 Km
9 – Gordes _ Sénanque _ Roussillon _ Gargas _ Villeneuve-(AS) – 84,9 Km
10 – Sainte-Tulle _ Manosque _ Ganagobie _ Les-Mées _ Sisteron-(AS) – 70,5 Km
11 – Sisteron _ Manosque _ Allemagne-en-Provence _ Riez-(AS) – 96 Km
12 – Riez _ Moustiers-Ste-Marie(AS) _ Ste-Croix_Aiguines _ Gorges-du-Verdon_Castellane(AS) – 84,5 Km
13 – Castellane _ Courmes _ Gourdon _ Le-Bar-sur-Loup – 79,5 Km
14 – Le-Bar-sur-Loup _ Tourrettes-sur-Loup _ St-Paul-de-Vence _ St-Lauren-du-Var(AS) _ Nice – 54,6 Km
15 – Nice _ Èze _ Villefranche-sur-Mer _ St.Laurent du Var-(AS) _ Grasse – 81,8 Km
16 – Grasse _ Frèjus _ Le-Thoronet-(AS) _ Barjols _ St.Maximin-la-Ste.Baume-(AS) – 158 Km
17 – St.Maximin-la-Ste.Baume _ Cassis _ Marsella – 73,6 Km
18 – Marseille _ Niolon _ Roquefavour _ Aix-en-Provence – 95,7 Km
19 – Aix-en-Provence _ Lourmarin _ La-Roque-d'Antheron _ Lambesc _ Pélissanne-(AS) – 83 Km
20 – Pélissanne _ St. Chamas _ Les-Baux-de-Provence _ Fonvieille – 67,1 Km
21 – Fontvieille _ Montmajour _ Arles – 17,2 Km
22 – Arles _ Béziers - 168 Km
Total 1,912 Km.
Meaning of the points,, example : -(AS) or -(L-C) and so on.
AS = motorhome service area C = camping
AP = motorhome parking area L = discretionary parking
1 - Salses_Aigues-Mortes_Saint-Gilles_Beaucaire - 225 Km
42.838968, 2.911622 - Salses-le-Château -
Forteresse de Salses - A Spanish castle in France built at the end of the 15th century by the architect Francisco Ramiro López in a good location for its resources in case of siege, the building kept the old frontier. Besieged in 1503, 1639 and 1640, the place is definitely conquered by the French in 1642.
The Treaty of the Pyrenees of 1659, for the bad arts of the Count-Duke of Olivares, while the King Felipe IV was hunting in Aranjuez, definitely awarded the fortress and Roussillon to France. The fortress loses its importance then, but from 1691 it will be partially stabilized by Vauban and qualified for the artillery as a French defense in this case.
It is open to the public throughout the year and is accessible on foot from the motorway area.
Declared Historical Monument, regularly hosts exhibitions of works by contemporary artists.
43.565779, 4.195846 - Aigues-Mortes ** - Aigues-Mortes, surrounded by ramparts and planted between wetlands, salt marshes and canals, Aigues-Mortes quiet lives today, remembering its historical past. From here departed Saint Louis, King of France, heading to the Crusades, twice and the second time, died of plague in Tunisia.
43.565779, 4.195846 - Municipal parking P4 (Bd. Diderot) and service área.
Numbers of tourism site :
1 - The blazon of Aigues-Mortes 26 avril 1697. "D'Hozier", representing Saint Martin sharing his coat with a beggar.
2 - Mask at the corner of the ledge dating from the above construction.
3 - Chapel "des Capucins" seventeenth Century: Built by the Capuchins, sold in the eighteenth century after the disappearance of his order, served as military store and bar.
4 - The statue of Saint Louis (1849): Creation of Pradier in bronze (1849). Crowned king this dress chainmail.
5 - The church "Notre Dame des Sablons. The first wooden church in 1183, is rebuilt in stone and arched Gothic style in 1246. Consecrated in 1248. Saint Louis prayed in church before his departure for the seventh crusade. Transformed into a collegiate church in 1537, with the name "Notre Dame et Saint Pierre de Psalmody". It was sacked by Protestants in 1575. The windows of Claude Viallat are put in 1991.
6 - n ° 2-4 - rue Jean Jaures seventeenth century ornate brackets female heads.
7 - No 19 - rue Jean Jaurès: Corinthian pilasters.
8 - No. 24 - Eighteenth Century rue Jean Jaurès 4 keystones late eighteenth century, in semi-relief sculptures representing the four seasons.
9 - The Source: Created on April 12, 1896 with the arrival of drinking water to Aigues-Mortes.
10 - Porte de la Gardette: Unique access to the city guarded by soldiers.
11 - La Tour de Constance XIII Century: (page 4)
12 - The Watchtower: Watchtower round cover for surveillance.
13 - Le Logis du Gouverneur XVI century: Built on the site of the former king's house on fire in the fifteenth century and rebuilt by the Governor of Civey.
14 - No. 22-24 - Ouest Bd Int (1679): Accommodation of the officers of the garrison.. Inscription "Mare de Deu de Montserrat". ("Virgin of Montserrat") (Barcelona)
15 - La Porte des embankments: Call Montpellier door until the eighteenth century became the gate of the ramparts at the time of filling of the North West ditch.
16 - No 29 - Bd Intérieur Ouest: Accommodation Lieutenant King, bought by the salt.
17 - La Tour des Bourguignons: During the conflict in the Armagnacs against Burgundy 1421 Burgundy garrison were exterminated.
18 - La Porte de l'Organeau: door equipped with rings used to the galleys. Gargoyle: tap half eagle, half lion carrying a man.
19 - La Porte des Moulins: Two mills elevations were fixed on each tower.
20 - La Porte des Galions: mooring point on the lagoon city, formerly called 'étang de Psalmodi ".
21 - La Porte de la Marine: The galleys were moored long this door.
22 - No. 35 - Bd Gambetta: The house No. 23, this is the only one to present a porch. Racks windows.
23 - La Porte de l'Arsenal: So called because it is close to the square of the armory.
24 - La Tour Poudrière: It owes its name to its proximity store gunpowder and ammunition.
25 - La Porte de la Reine: In 1622, Louis XIII and his wife Anna of Austria entered through this door.
26 - Gargoyles Porte de la Reine: Leon throwing his four paws and other gargoyles representing ferocious dogs.
27 - The Fridge: In the seventeenth century, there were three refrigerators outside the enclosure. One remains, once covered with earth to preserve freshness. It has a well in the center.
28 - The Cross' Méjeanet "(1838): Cross belonging to the prior of the White Penitents (L. Méjean), set at the time of your choice.
29 - La Croix of "Berenice" (1852): Cross belonging to the prior of the gray penitents (B. Bachain) set at the time of your choice.
30 - La Porte des Cordeliers: In the thirteenth century, a convent of monks "Cordeliers" (Franciscans) was founded.
31 - La Tour de Villeneuve: Call another time tower of masks, General Romieu De Villeneuve was one of the collaborators of
32 - La Tour Mèche: A wick was kept burning to fire in case of danger. Two firing points arrows.
33 - La Porte Saint Antoine: It took its name from the nearby cemetery. Three sculptures represent a centaur, a dragon and a centaur. Societe d'Histoire et d'Archeologie: At the door, many traces discovered around.
34 - La Tour du Sel: Serbian warehouse for salt, and was also prison.
35 - No. 5 - rue de la République: On the balcony there sculpted lions that stand guard.
36 - No 30 - rue de la République: Coat representing professional sign its first owner, manufacturer of chain mail.
37 - The Chapel "des Pénitents Blancs" (XVII °): It houses a fresh free. A. Gleize boxes.
38 - No. 6 - place of Viguerie: Vestige of an arched window.
39 - The Chapel "des Pénitents Gray" (XVII °): Enclose a classified J. Sabatier stucco altarpiece.
40 - La Croix des Cinq Plaies: Old Cross opened in 1814 in the Plaza Saint Louis to the site of the existing statue of Saint Louis. Then in 1825 he moved to the garden of the Grey Penitents.
41 - No. 48 rue E. Jamais nineteenth century. I balconies led by acanthus leaves.
42 - The City Council built around 1535, as amended in the seventeenth and twentieth centuries.
43.672928, 4.430451(AP) - Saint-Gilles - - Abbey of Saint-Gilles ** - This abbey of the twelfth century, there remains only the west facade, admirable example of Romanesque sculpture in southern France. There are also some remains of the choir and the crypt where the tomb of Saint Gilles is. You can also admire the "vis de Saint-Gilles" of 1142, an amazing spiral staircase in stone that fascinates everyone.
43.806187, 4.637435 (AS) - Beaucaire * - Located along the Rhone river, retains many monuments of its rich past. The medieval castle atop a hill, was built in the eleventh century, still the residence of the counts of Toulouse and the Lords of Beaucaire. Partly dismantled by Richelieu in the seventeenth century, the polygonal tower, round corner tower and the Romanesque chapel bear witness to its glorious era.
Avenue des Arènes (Parking)
On the web we cannot include travel maps, but it is possible to acquire a pdf of all the stages in Spanish or English, with full-color maps of arrivals at tourist sites and with citys walk maps of the 22 stages of this trip, for the modest price of € 5 on the last page 22. The price is symbolic for you to order the PDF when you really need it.